Saturday, September 11, 2010

2.4 Basics

It's worth noting here that while code is infinitely fixable, it isn't always fun to try. Every character has a function and the MacDonald text offers the timely reminder that while while browsers may be capable of fixing forward slash/backslash confusion, such an error in coding can prevent page elements from displaying. The mantra here is don't get lazy with your typing—it really does matter.

Chapters three and four of MacDonald's Creating a Web Site offer a practical overview of hosting-related topics and tools for authoring a webpage and deserve a little attention here. While I already have a web host (GoDaddy) and a domain name (the ever popular www.myname.com format), reading about the components of how this stuff works behind the scenes was, dare I say, really interesting. For starters, I didn't realize that a browser actually goes onto the web and grabs the IP address from the DNS catalog (Domain Name Service) in order to decipher a domain name like www.rebecca-fitzsimmons.com; I also didn't realize that each computer on the web has a unique IP address. On a side note, this knowledge is awesome because now I am starting to understand all the tech speak in discussion forums on justin.tv that revolves around how a banned user—like one that has a channel streaming copyrighted animated Batman or X-Men episodes—makes it back online at that site. They apparently work around the system identifying them by acquiring a different IP address through a proxy. Anyway, in general understanding the routes that information travels is helpful in wrapping my mind around how computers communicate over the Internet.

Moving on to domain names, according to MacDonald I have committed one of the cardinal sins of choosing a domain name—I have used a dash. My choice was rebecca-fitzsimmons.com as opposed to rebeccafitzsimmons.com because it is easier to read. I understand his rational that people get confused by dashes and forget them or think they are underscores, however I also think that we must be close to getting over that confusion. Is it really that difficult to find the correct key on the keyboard? I have to have more faith in people than to think they would give up over these kinds of typing setbacks. That said, I stand to lose very little if someone abandons an attempt to access my personal website; if I were running a business site I would take his advice to heart and pick an easier to type version. As for his other recommendations, he rightly points out that picking an odd domain like .biz or .net is a bad idea. I had this same conversation the other day with my aunt when she asked me if she should select tastetheworld.biz or tastetheworld.info for her web storefront since the .com version was unavailable. I don't think I would be wrong in assuming that most people are unaware that these domains even exist. Instead, I told her to pick a close name with a .com, like MacDonald champions, and she went with tastetheworldonline.com; not the loveliest title ever, but at least people will be more likely to find the site.  

For web hosting, I have found GoDaddy to be a good service, and MacDonald lists it in his suggestions. There is a range of plans and the basic hosting is cheap and more than sufficient in terms of features. Beyond paid service, though, MacDonald does cover free hosting services; the most notable features here are the insurmountable issues that can crop up, from ad banners and content limits to lack of FTP support and lots of down time or slow loading that can make your site seem non-functional. Enough said— paid web hosting seems well worth it just have a modicum of control and consistency.

For web creation tools I own Dreamweaver, but I still like knowing about the freeware versions of products out there. I had no idea that Nvu was last released as KompoZer, but I do know that I have seen some techies with cool websites detail the creation tools they used on the site, and I see KompoZer mentioned rather frequently. This seems like a good endorsement to me, plus there is definitely a cool factor involved in creating something amazing using just freeware and coding knowledge. Maybe one day I can aspire to that. In the interim, Dreamweaver works just fine.

I was interested to see that MacDonald was able to explain the basics of creating a webpage in four separate editors simultaneously. Of course, I suppose as more people seek out both free and paid software it makes sense that a lot of the features would work the same and be located in intuitive places in the toolbars and menus. That level of standardization is definitely a plus, especially if you have to work back and forth with different programs (like at home and at work, which is usually annoying). Anyway, that's all I need to say here about hosting and creation tools. MacDonald breaks it all down and provides a great overview for anyone that needs pointers on getting started. Now, moving on to more complex matters. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment